Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Darn it all to heck!

I'm gluten intolerant...gluten (anything made of or that has touched barley, wheat, rye) makes me tired, achy, cranky and gives me tummy issues of which I need not go into detail.

So this time of year, with all the get togethers and BBQ's I've made a commitment to get gestapo and not get sick from eating the wrong things at other people's parties. My two older kids are sensitive to gluten as well, so I'm trying to protect their poor little bodies too.

Today we had Loren's 2nd grade end of the year BBQ. I came prepared...I bought GF (gluten free) hambuger buns and signed up to bring the chips so I could make sure those were GF too. Someone made this great pesto rice dish...as I was eating it I overheard the person who brought it say "yes, it looks like rice but it's really pasta!"

Darn it!!

Then, thinking I was safe at least with my burger, I found out that the person making the burgers put Jonny's seasoning on them...which has soy sauce powder which inludes a nice helping of wheat.

Darn it all to heck!!

I've no idea what to do in situations like this, because I didn't come prepared with something else I could have eaten...just chips wasn't going to cut it. I realize now that I either need to ask lots of questions BEFORE or just bring my own...well...everything!

Ug...not fun.

Book Recommendation!! The GFree Diet by Elisabeth Hasselbeck.
Read this book if:
  1. You have Celiac Disease or gluten intolerance.
  2. You know someone who has the above mentioned issues.
  3. You have IBS, IBD or any other small intestinal problems or disease.
  4. You have any unexplained medical problems or symptoms.
  5. You would like to change your diet to include more whole foods and less processed foods like breads, pastas, cookies and other treats.

No comments: